Saturday, December 4, 2010

Small

I had a moment of clarity this morning. I realised how absolutely small my own mind was. Now, I'm not a moron and at times I've even been considered intelligent. So what was it that made me realise how small my mind is? For the past 18 months I've been living in Sydney, a city of four and half million people. I can't conceive of that many of anything. That number is simply beyond my comprehension, I can't understand the implication of 4.5 million. To me it's a pointless number since it just goes into the realms of big.

Now in the scheme of things, 4.5 million is small, tiny even. And I can't imagine that number in anything except as a number.


As a secondary part of this realisation, it started to become apparent to me how big God's mind is. While I don't understand 4.5 million, there are 6888 million people on the planet (6.9 billion) at the time of writing. And from what we are told, this number is also meaningless. Not because it is beyond comprehension due to it's massive nature. Instead of that, it's because it's such a small number that it doesn't even really register. Just think about that for a moment.
The population of the earth is such a small number that it doesn't really matter. It barely rates as a statistic.

OK, stop thinking about that now. Blow your mind on this little chestnut now. God knows every person on the earth individually. Every single one. With room to spare. Physically, emotionally, psychologically, everything.
To write out the genetic sequence of a single human being would apparently take the entirety of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. To put that into context, if you stack the full set, it comes in at roughly 2 metres thick, almost 6 foot and 7 inches. Multiply that by 6.9 billion.
I won't go into number of cells in the human body because that really is meaningless numbers with ten trillion.
The human brain itself is still considered the greatest computer built due to it's incredible processing power and the level of it's contextual separation. If there has been one goal of software advancement, it has been to achieve this. God not only can do it (look at the human brain for example) but knows each different one individually and completely.
and I can't comprehend the number 4.5 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment